Wednesday, June 16, 2010

OUR GARDEN IN WINTER

These photos are of our garden in the depths of winter last year. The garden had suffered the effects of 12 years of drought, so only the very hardy plants have survived. This year has been a bit better so I am hopeful that I can start to re-establish it properly.

SN850349

Brazilian sage - originally from my Grandmother

 

SN850350

My favourite white daisy – not sure where this one came from- I think it was from Mum’s cousin.

 

SN850351

May bush – from my sister in law in Canberra

 

SN850353

Jacaranda – I just love the leaves on this beautiful tree

SN850354

This is a very sad tale – while we were in Adelaide in April last year the “heritage listed” old pine tree on the border of our place and our neighbours’ front paddocks, fell down. Unfortunately Elizabeth and Jack’s (next door) tree house was in that tree and was completely demolished in the process – note scattered wood palings.  A sad day for all!

 

SN850357

Lavender – foreground. White plumbago – background.

SN850358

Chinese lantern

SN850359

Old plum tree – it used to be HUGE, but was cut right back  (and I mean back to nothing!) a couple of years ago – after it had split down the middle after being storm damaged – growing back fast.

SN850361

Hibiscus from my Grandmother

SN850363

Madagascan (?) jasmine – flowers from late summer until spring – lovely scent.

SN850366

Lemons in our new citrus orchard – barely hanging in there with the drought. Below – limes.

SN850367

SN850369

Violets – from my grandmother.

I love the way I can walk around my garden and think of all the friends and family the plants came from. I have an old fashioned rose-scented pelargonium (currently threatening to take over the pergola) which belonged to my great-grandmother. She always grew it on the front gate post, so it was the first thing visitors saw (and smelt) on arriving at their farm. When her youngest son was killed just after the second world war (her next to youngest had died on the Burma Railway), his cat would sit on the gate post waiting for him to come home each day -  I feel a garden can tell a family’s history.

To that end, I MUST get my previously lovely garden in order – the two plumbago bushes either side of the front door (one white, one blue) are fast becoming weapons of mass destruction for all visitors.

Helen

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful way to remember others... through a garden walk! I've never heard of such a thing, but it's really marvelous, Helen! I admire your garden not only for it's lovelies, but also for the memories it holds for you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete